Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pet Breeding system
Way, way, way down the priority list, obviously, but...

I have always really loved animal/pet breeding systems, especially when it allows you to breed for colors and/or improved stats.  Would love to see something of the sort implemented eventually.
Seconded.
I'd like to see our Taming system brought over as a priority, but at some point we can see whats involved in having something like this.
Now that Lyrrin and I are working on bringing in the grimmwold taming system and introducing taming as a better high end combat system with advanced mobs with special abilities, I'd like to make a segregation between "combat creatures" and "pets".

To that end, we are going to move all (or most) the low end animals (chicken, sheep, cat, dog, etc) as well as the basic mounts (horse, llama, ostard, swamp dragon) to Pets.  Pets will be a function of herding/butchering and will have the general ideas implemented - EVENTUALLY.
  • Wild animals can be found and "tamed" in the wild with herding (aka butchering) and be re-sold as a pet.  The pet can be turned into a little icon of itself for sale and once bought will come "out of its cage" and bond with the player.  The purchasing player will not need taming or herding to keep their pet, and the pet will avoid combat so it can keep you company but not get murdered while hunting.  Pets can also be stabled.
  • Pet training.  Shepards will be able to train pets.  Trained pets may get higher hit points, special bonuses they pass on to their owners, advanced linquistics and possible tricks.
  • Pet breeding: This will need a lot more planning, but conceptually some type of pet breeding will result in "specialty breeds", "upgraded graphics", "interesting hues", or "upgraded stats/skills".
  • Feeding pets will require specialty foods produced by cooking, to give cooking something else to sell.
A few questions (you have probably thought of them already, but just in case Wink :

-Will these non-combat pets require control slots like the combat pets?
  -If not, how will people be prevented from having a herd of 20 cats following them around?
  - There will obviously need to be some limit, no idea what. ~Lara

-Will they be able to use the 'icon' version for "storage" in addition to stabling, is it a one-time deal for the purposes of selling, or is it a function of herding?
 - Just for the purposes of selling, otherwise the stable should be used.  I may rethink this. ~Lara

-What is the purpose of higher hit points for this type of pet, if they avoid combat?
 - No idea, was just tossing comments out. ~Lara
Further questions to discuss:

What do we do with the high end mounts not current slotted for the new taming system:
Unicorn, dread horn, reptalon (UGLY), ridgeback (WEIRD), swamp dragon  -Ki Rin (Nir)
How to upgrade horses: Thoughts

We've already used all the possible hues so we can't "breed new hues" unless i make a new set of hues.

However, we have 4-5 ranges of hues, and I've set those specifically to one horse body type.

Some of those body types could be "bred" into a different hue range then its original. This won't work on all of them because some of the hues are very dark and if they are put on a darker horse it will just look black. But it might be possible to do it for some and get a different mane type.
(06-10-2020, 10:49 AM)Lara Wrote: How to upgrade horses: Thoughts

We've already used all the possible hues so we can't "breed new hues" unless i make a new set of hues.

However, we have 4-5 ranges of hues, and I've set those specifically to one horse body type.

Some of those body types could be "bred" into a different hue range then its original. This won't work on all of them because some of the hues are very dark and if they are put on a darker horse it will just look black.  But it might be possible to do it for some and get a different mane type.

Breeding: I think if the system will give you a chance of getting one of the parent's hues it could work even without new hues as some hues are going to be more in demand than others. Not sure if you want to add new scripts but I know some servers have scripts where the horse mounts play into whatever their cavalry/paladin/knight skill is and the higher level the horse the better certain attacks or defenses are for the player who is on horseback. The horses could be bred to allow for higher stats or higher levels.
All good thoughts guys, keep it coming. We are a ways off from a real design, so brainstorming is good.
(06-10-2020, 10:43 AM)Lara Wrote: reptalon (UGLY)

how dare you

On a serious note, and as always at the risk of power creep, we could make high-end mounts:
- faster (who needs magery when I can go coast-to-coast in 5 minutes???)
- give passive stats hp/mp/sta (ew boring, but also easy to reason about and balance for)
- passively activate cooldowns in combat (passive regeneration, occasional heals/cures, proc horn jabs/bites/fire breaths on you hitting)
- give an active ability to use in combat (probably the same stuff as above, but more control over when it happens, maybe players can toggle between auto/manual cast?)
- big spells out of combat (recall/gate, now I really don't need magery :^])

Of course, gate the better mounts/abilities behind higher taming/lore values. The balance comes mainly from still having to take 1+ skills to take advantage of the bonuses. This might allow for neat tamer splashes for our knights/archers/mages who don't want to manage pets, but maybe want a spicier mount that gives them some combat versatility- and it still takes skill points!
Topic Options