Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Map Feed Back
If you would like to see the new map you can ask a staffer to move you to the map and then move you back when you are done. I need feed back on the map, but I ask you to read this whole post before you comment.

One, this map is HUGE, and it needs to be huge to support RPCSS.  Consider how weird it would feel to have armies on Summer Isle.

Two, there are no towns or cities on the map yet, that is the last step.  But we won't have a lot on this map anyway, just bits here and there along the roads between the five cities.

Three, because this map is so massive, it was created using a map GENERATOR, not by hand, so the placement of items is based on a random algorithm I've done my best to massively tweak, and I think I did a good job.

Four, because this map has to handle what amounts to champ spawns at any place on the map, I couldn't do a lot of areas which would create bottle necks.

Fifth, I am not DONE!  *laughs* There are at least two areas that are not even start, and two areas who's landscaping I don't like.  I'm sure you'll see the not started ones, but the unfinished ones might not be so obvious.

So here are the questions, copy and paste in your response, please elaborate if you can.

1.  Does the map feel massive?  Can you imagine that there is some real distance between cities.

2. Is there enough "interesting" variation in the random generator as it relates to tree placement, other foliage, variation of ground tiles, and height elevation?

3. Do the areas give off a sense of location or immersion?  Did I get a good feel?  Are there any areas that don't FEEL good and if so where and why.

4. General thoughts given the goal and restrictions?
1.  Does the map feel massive?  Yes, it feels massive. I spent a good amount of time last night looking through (using my GM teleport), and it felt HUGH. Which is good because that's what we wanted from the get-go. I imagine it will take a good amount of time to walk between cities. Smile

2. Is there enough "interesting" variation in the random generator as it relates to tree placement, other foliage, variation of ground tiles, and height elevation? You have some lovely variation, one of my personal favorites is the area with the large amount of hay on the floor. I think in the past you have done something like this but never as overgrown. It is overwhelming in a good way. Obviously, a few areas are not complete (like a lava portion to the bottom of the map), and they need more work. But what is done is beautiful. 

3. Do the areas give off a sense of location or immersion?  Did I get a good feel?  Are there any areas that don't FEEL good and if so where and why. I felt they did last night, but I'm getting on again and will update this post or poke you in discord.

4. General thoughts given the goal and restrictions? For a map of this size, I think the detail you have been able to achieve is impressive. It fits with what we need for the RPCSS system and once the cities go in I think it will tie in nicely.

[Image: Dali-Signature-3.jpg]
1 1
The map looks beautiful! I like the variance in the four general areas of the map. My only negative concern is that Andal looks a little remote at the far end of a peninsula, which might give it an unfair advantage and unduly set up Drokk as the easy target. Obviously I haven't played in RPCSS yet so it could work entirely different than I expect but as I understand the main source of unit building will be at your held castles so there will be a significant homefield advantage in the area nearest your capital. The Andal faction would have no other immediate enemies and Drokk would stand right in their way of taking the mainland and if they assume that the other two factions will attack Drokk and it ends up they're correct, Drokk will fall to a three front war, leaving a victorious Andal faction to steamroll through the map with little worry of enemies getting anywhere near their homebase.

Obviously a great deal of that is speculative since I haven't played with RPCSS and humans don't tend to make logical decisions or choose not to take a logical route in favor of not being where the enemy believes they will be, so this is all guesses.
Thank you Gum, I have avoided as many of the overt issues that plagued the alpha map. I can't say I avoided them all, but I avoided a lot. The rest of your concerns will be resolved when sea combat goes in. *cough*
1.  Does the map feel massive?  Can you imagine that there is some real distance between cities.
ABSOLUTELY it seemed huge!!! and very nicely able to run through areas while still maintaining a feel of varying elevations

2. Is there enough "interesting" variation in the random generator as it relates to tree placement, other foliage, variation of ground tiles, and height elevation?
I found most of the areas to be really amazing looking, hard to believe it wasn't hand done, I espececially liked the Swampy looking area and the desert.

3. Do the areas give off a sense of location or immersion?  Did I get a good feel?  Are there any areas that don't FEEL good and if so where and why.
All the Areas that were complete or near complete felt really awesome, lots of variation from different zones  and in some cases zones within zones, there were a couple places that still need work but im sure thats on the menu to fix a couple glitchy looking spots here and there.  I cant wait to see it

4. General thoughts given the goal and restrictions?
I think all things considered this will allow for npc's to be able to move fairly freely across the map for the RPCSS and immersion gameplay.  Alot of work has been done and you can tell... amazing new tree graphics!

[Image: Wyldeheart.jpg]
Topic Options