Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Not-So-Healthy Living
Cuban Lechon Asado

A big piece of pork (pork shoulder).
Mojo (You can buy this or use my homemade recipe below)
Garlic cloves (whole)
A knife
Dash of salt
Dash of pepper

1. Take out the piece of pork. Go to town with it and the knife—stab it a bunch of times, really deep. I am talking many, many, times (over 20).
2. Place whole cloves of garlic (obviously peeled), within the all of the holes you have made.
3. Place your mojo mixture on top of the piece of pork, don't be afraid to get your fingers dirty and make sure the juice goes inside the holes that already have the garlic. Add a dash of salt/pepper on top.
4. Put in the refrigerator for several hours (2-4), so it marinates.
5. Pre-heat oven to 325-400-----Depending on how fast you want it to come out.
6. I like to place it on the actual rack, with a pan underneath to catch the juices as it cooks (but it makes a huge mess), so you may want to place it on a pan.
7. As it cooks you will spoon the juices it releases on the pork and you can even put some additional mojo, if you have any left.
8. This is the complicated part... I cook it until it's falling apart so i can't give you an exact hour. Usually it's like 45 minutes per pound. So it can take a while. The slower you cook it the softer is comes out. Be careful not to burn it and put a foil over it if you think it's getting too crispy. you can take the foil out at the end, last 20 minutes.

Cuban Mojo
1 cup of fresh orange juice
1/2 cup of lime juice
1/2 cup of lemon juice
1/2 Olive Oil
Cumin
Salt
Pepper
Oregano Spice
Garlic (Fresh, cut up small)
small amount of onion (optional)

***Mix the salt, pepper, and garlic (and onion if you use it) together (use a mortar and pestle if you have one). Then place that mixture with the orange juice, lime juice, lemon juice, and oil. Finally put the cumin, and oregano. Mix like hell. Smile

[Image: Dali-Signature-3.jpg]
1 1
Step one of your recipe is to stab something many, many, times...why does this not surprise me?

[Image: Felix-Signature-1.jpg]
Cuban Natilla

[img][Image: Natilla-2.jpg][/img]

Ingredients:

1. Six eggs
2. Six teaspoons of Corn Starch
3. 1 tablespoon of vanilla
4. 1 cup of sugar
5. 1 1/2 of Evaporated Milk
6. 1 1/2 cups of whole milk
7. Cinnamon Sticks (4-5)
8. Cinnamon Powder

Directions:

1. Put the two types of milk in a pot to cook on a medium to high setting.
2. Add the vanilla, cinnamon sticks and a dash of cinnamon powder to the mixture.
3. While that gets warm, opens the eggs, discard the whites and only keep the yolk. (I use the whites for an omelet or something because I hate throwing them away... but you don't need them for this).
4. Mix the six yolks of egg with the six teaspoons of Corn Starch, until it is a nice bright yellow and both ingredients are perfectly blended.
5. By now the milk mixture is hot... use it to temper the egg/corn starch mixture. Take spoons of the hot milk and place them in the egg/corn starch mixture always rapidly string... If you don't do this the eggs will cook and you will get clumps!
6. Once the egg/corn starch are tempered, you will first put the cup of sugar into the milk mixture, and then the egg/corn starch mixture... Always rapidly mixing.
7. Mix for a few minutes... It's done.
8. For a beautifully smooth Natilla, use a blender to blend it for a minute. Then place in containers and sprinkle cinnamon.

It is SOOOOOOO YUMMY!!!

1 1
Juicy Hamburgers! (EASY)

Ingredients

1. Ground Beef
2. Ground crackers (not much just a little)
3. Home-made Cuban Mojo (scroll up to see my recipe)
4. Salt/Pepper
5. Onions
6. Hamburger buns, lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese of choice.

Directions:
1. First I season the ground beef. I add my home-made Cuban Mojo, a dash of salt and pepper, and another dash of grounded crackers (not to much). With my hands (after I have washed them of course), I mush up the meat and make sure every spec of it is seasoned. 
2. Form the meat patties.  I like to make them thin, but large in diameter. Remember they shrink as you cook them. After you have formed the patties, put them in the refrigerator for a few hours to marinate, better if you leave it over night (you can of course skip this step but they will not come out as juicy or delicious).
3. Now to cook them! Keep the heat setting to medium because if you have it too high the meat patties will bunch up and not look as nice. They will also cook a bit unevenly and you will have to keep flattening them with the spatula. 
4. As you cook the hamburger patties, you can cut the tomatoes/lettuce up to place in the burger. Remember to place the cheese on top of the burger so it melts a big before you place it on the bun. I also like to place the bun on a pan to toast a bit, but you can avoid doing this or even place the bun in the microwave for ten seconds to get it nice and soft if you prefer it like that.

STEP 5: EAT!!!! <------ It really is an easy recipe, I just am wordy and since the world is going crazy and you may not be going out at the moment it's an easy way to eat a burger!

1 1
Topic Options