Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old Dogs, New Tricks
     The night drew to a close as she waved goodbye to the last patron and locked the door behind him. It’d been a couple of years since she had hosted a game night, and it was the first time she held one in a more upscale manner. It was different having her own venue to host such things and as of late, Drökkburg was now more of a ghost town. Evervale, at least, was showing a small bloom of activity as newer arrivals found their way there. In the end, she was feeling mostly secured in her decision to shift her residence - albeit temporarily, in her eyes.

Before heading upstairs to retire for the evening, she squared the receipts from Luther, the barkeeper and her confidant of the last seven years. Luth was older by about ten years, far as she could tell, but she called him (kindly) an old coot for his gruff demeanor. Beneath the quiet and stoic exterior, he was kind, quick to laugh, and held a keen sense of humor. In all things business, she could trust him. In all things fun, well…

“A romance magazine?” she asked with as much seriousness as she could muster, though that was fragile at best. “With pictures!” She almost sounded exasperated, but Luther grinned ear to ear, baring his pearly whites. 

“You left me with the task to come up with prizes. You didn’t say they had to be good or bad,” he replied with a deep chuckle. “By the looks of the fae-girl, she seemed over the moon. Not so much can be said of her companion, though!”

Sahja flashed an impish grin at him as she counted the remainder of stock and made mental notes of essentials she’d need to order for the coming week. “Did you even see the picture on the front? The amount of muscles on that guy makes me believe the artist hasn’t seen a man naked before. Honestly, where the hell did you scare that up?” The last bit had her break into fits of laughter, her cheeks deepening red.

“I’ve got my ways, hase,” he mused, turning to clean the bartop and snuff the lanterns out. 

She passed a small pouch of gold to him, his wages and tips for the day. Just before he was out the door, he gave pause, looking back at her. “Any consideration on what that guy Baelrad said?” His tone was curious, his brow lifted subtly. This had already been a big leap for them both - The Golden Jackal. Luth was native to Kraestret, where she met him, and the two had been solid friends from the start, but he knew her well enough that serious decisions would never be made on the fly - unlike her quickness to make a bet.

A mere shrug of an answer was offered, a sign to him that the seed had been planted. “Talk to me when you’re ready, then. Remember: There’s pros and cons to everything. G’night, Sahja.”

“Night, Luth. See you in the morning.”
Topic Options