Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Valtyr Sigrsteinn Application
Definitely open to suggestions, by the way. To explain a bit, it seemed like a dragon would find the idea of a long-living vampire to be of potentially decent enough worth to act in the favor of. However, if the idea of a vampiric dragon doesn't work just let me know. It fits with the idea that in his moment of despair he was willing to essentially commit the same type of loyalty trade that his viking lord had with the vampire, if only to stop horrible things from happening to his lover. He must now live with the question of what became of her and would it have all been alright had he just done things differently. He is a bundle of self doubt in regard to his past, but also fervently loyal to the dragon that at least allowed him to save her from the coming fate on-board the returning viking ship. And to this dragon his devotes his willpower, if for no other reason than to possibly forget his past.

Discord Id -
Doc_waddleston#6486

Previous Characters-
I played on a few of the previous UO iterations of this community. Never did get into the Second Life version, unfortunately. I can only remember the name of one of my previous characters. A dwarf named Thintir Orod on Sanctuary. He was sort of a delusional fellow, but usually meant well. 

Character Name - Valtyr Sigrsteinn

Character Race & Sub-Race-
Human
Sub-race: Vampire
[Need assistance with regards to the dragon aspect of this, and how best to proceed]

Alternate Graphic-
Preferably a deep purple/blue dragon. This is because of the story in which he winds up offering his eternal loyalty to a dragon deity in return for the ability to stop a certain event. Valtyr 
is given the form of a dragon in order to facilitate the request, and as soon as it is done he is pulled to the world in which the dragon deity resides in order to make good on his promise.
Valtyr is left with the ability to transform into a dragon in order to bind him to his promise of loyalty to the dragon that answered his prayer for destruction of the ship carrying the vampire.

Character Description -
Standing around 5'9" and adequately muscular from years at sea exploring and pillaging and tending to the family farm when not away. A dirty blonde with long hair like a slightly tamed 
lion's mane which he keeps partially braided and pulled back. His maintains a short beard, also made up of many smaller braids. His light blue eyes have a tendency to seem heavy with some 
distant thought, but somehow always alert to the slightest movements around him. 

Shard Plot Line (Strengths & Weaknesses)-
Valtyr has a strategic mind for making the most of smaller groups of soldiers. Such as how to sustain raiding parties which could translate to utilizing smaller armies against larger armies 
effectively. He has skill with subterfuge because of the increasing attempts on his previous lord's life and attempts to take his position by others in the clan as well as outside sabatogue. 
However, because of the same lord's fall into insanity, Valtyr has a tendency toward paranoia and distrust which isn't always evident but always under the surface. As a final note, he has a 
terrible dislike of larger bodies of water due to background events.

Special Role-play Ability-
Can sometimes move for just a moment with incredible speed due to the way his almost constant worry plays on his vampiric nature. Because of the manner in which he was betrayed and nearly killed on Earth, he is plagued by a lasting paranoia and need to not be taken by surprise in a similar manner ever again. However, that doesn't mean he is always exactly PERFECT at this quick movement.

Previous World-
Born on Earth, a Scandanavian during the earlier period of Vikings.

Backstory -

This was perhaps the fifth time that Valtyr had jolted violently back to consciousness within the last half of an hour. Water had filled the heavy chest he was shackled within as well as his lungs. Every so often, he died. Or, he sort of passed into the veil between life and death before being painfully plucked back from the void as he screamed silently, forcing the water from his 
chest for just a moment. This time, he managed to avoid the sudden inhalation of murky death that had seemed to happen every other time he came back from the black. His mind was barely able to grasp it's own seeming immortality, having been turned only moments before he was chained inside of a heavy wood and iron chest as cruel revenge by the vampire hermit that had claimed hold over his desperate and broken lord's mind. Within a shrinking corner of his small makeshift coffin, Valtyr found a pocket of air and took a sharp breath. He tried to imagine any way he could break free, but his bindings prevented the range of movement needed to manage any attempt at release. 

As his lion's mane of dirty blonde hair  flowed over his face like a veil, he was surprised to find himself gripping the carved relic that hung from his neck. A small dragon, intricately 
detailed; it had been given to him by his lover, Rikka, to remind him of the fire of their love while they were apart. They would often joke that it actually held a bit of Rikka's ferocity and guarded his heart against his occasionally poor forethought on the battlefield. She had a habit of collecting trinkets with dragon motifs, and this particular piece had been her favorite. Rikka 
had been unsure of it's origins, however, always claiming that something about it seemed to call to her. 

As he began to lose himself to his memories, a sudden desperate strength surged through his shackled limbs in the submerged chest. If he failed to stop what was in motion above the waves on the deck of the ship, his love would be lost to her own eternity of suffering because of his attempt to assassinate the vampire hermit and prevent his lord from trading his own people as 
blood insurance in a cruel contract. The air was quickly spit from his lungs and as the water rushed back in and Valtyr began drowning for the sixth time. His thoughts spiraled. He promised in these painful moments to any who were listening that his own eternal loyalty would be theirs if only they would stop this monstrosity from reaching his love, by any means. As this thought began repeating in his mind his thumb slipped into the sharp mouth of the dragon carving in his grasp. Blood began to flow through the rows of dragon teeth.

The wooden vessel creaked along the rolling waves, a silence hanging heavily on the deck. A small commotion began to build at one side of the ship, however, as the waves became more tumultuous. Beneath the surface, metal and wood shattered against the sudden transformation that was once an average sized human becoming a massive dragon, wings cutting the water as deftly as fins. Those on deck drew their weapons, unsure of what they were about to face. Valtyr was driven by pure instinct and as soon as he cleared the surface of the turbulent water he slammed his full mass into the middle of the ship. Moment later Valtyr rose again from the depths. Bleeding from multiple wounds from his earlier assault, he hovered in relative safety as his clansmen scrambled on two sinking halves of a ship in the middle of the ocean. The heavily robed vampire ran from below deck and frantically tried to avoid the water overtaking everything around him. With a hearty and nasally snarl, a thick ball of fire was flung with enough force to almost instantly incinerate most of the panicked vampire's body. A wave of flame followed that was enough to render the last of the survivors unable to fight against the rising water which soon overtook every last soul. And Valtyr, drained of his last bit of energy, fell and sunk below the waves as well. When he woke, weak and confused, he was in some land he had never before laid eyes upon, still gripping the dragon amulet with the last of his strength. The teeth stained red with his blood.
I'm partial to dragons, of course, but I'm a little confused about the shapechange - it would be a form of glamour/magic? Or this dragon god gives him the ability to shift into an actual dragon?

Otherwise, thumbs way up!
(10-06-2019, 02:58 PM)Cinders Wrote: I'm partial to dragons, of course, but I'm a little confused about the shapechange - it would be a form of glamour/magic? Or this dragon god gives him the ability to shift into an actual dragon?

Otherwise, thumbs way up!

I am leaning toward it being an actual ability to shift form into a dragon. It's sort of like the vampire's blood insurance pact he had with the viking lord to ensure his loyalty. But instead, this makes it so that what befalls the dragons of the land also befalls Valtyr so that he is more likely to remember his debt of loyalty.

What do you suggest in this regard?
Either way seems fine to me, I just wanted a little clarity on it Smile I would just edit the app to make sure its understood he will be able to shift into a dragon form and change your "Race" section to "Human". Subrace I'm a little unsure of, because generally shapeshifters would be Muiri - maybe someone else can help with that part!
(10-06-2019, 05:10 PM)Cinders Wrote: Either way seems fine to me, I just wanted a little clarity on it Smile  I would just edit the app to make sure its understood he will be able to shift into a dragon form and change your "Race" section to "Human". Subrace I'm a little unsure of, because generally shapeshifters would be Muiri - maybe someone else can help with that part!

That is where it was a bit worrying for me as I wrote it. I wondered how it should all come together in game in those regards. And sure, I'll add those specifications in. I appreciate the help.
Definitely different!

I'm not positive exactly how the race/sub-race question would work out in this case, it may take Lara's insight to figure it out. His born-self and vampire-self would be human, but dragons as Cinders said are generally Muiri, and honestly from the story I would lean towards possibly summons/constructs... so, all in all, a bit confusing.

Once that question is settled, though, it has my thumbs up.
(10-07-2019, 03:37 AM)NirAntae Wrote: Definitely different! 

I'm not positive exactly how the race/sub-race question would work out in this case, it may take Lara's insight to figure it out.  His born-self and vampire-self would be human, but dragons as Cinders said are generally Muiri, and honestly from the story I would lean towards possibly summons/constructs...  so, all in all, a bit confusing.

Once that question is settled, though, it has my thumbs up.

I would be open to what works best for it, I definitely realize it's an unusual mix. Finally got in game and am re-acquainting myself with everything, too.
There is so much of this application I like... That being said, while Dragons normally would be Muiri, an exception does in fact exist that I believe works for the characters history since you are going with a viking/Scandinavian past.
Quote:Elven-style races who born Aelfeyn and then become dragons in later years are considered Aelfeyn and not "true" dragons like those of the Muiri or Hoggur dragons.
http://www.sanctuaryshard.com/index.php?title=Aelfeyn

I am also a bit curious as to how he came about this shapechange... You mentioned a God, but never name one directly. For the sake of fleshing the character out a bit I also thought I would throw this link out there... http://www.sanctuaryshard.com/index.php?title=Pantheon

***Honestly the more I think about this the more I think that the issue is both the Vampire/Dragon component to this character. I'm not sure they can reconcile to form one since the way we wrote the fiction was essentially to make werewolve/vampires/witches and the like, Humans. And as Nir mentioned, the application does have a small slant towards summon/construct...
Quote:Not Humans If you wish to play a character that has been possessed by a demon or has a shape change brought about by a magical curse, then the race category is technically one of the Summons & Constructs because it will be salt that is your weakness, rather then silver.
http://www.sanctuaryshard.com/index.php?title=Humans

You mentioned you were open to suggestions so I have a thrown a few your way. Read this over and tell me if it helps. I can tell from the application you know how to write and I'm really interested in seeing Valtyr come to life. Smile

[Image: Dali-Signature-3.jpg]
1 1
Hello Waddleston,

I'm going to weigh in on this, and I'm going to be very straight up and hope that is okay.

First, the reason why this app is taking so long is that the admin team really just hates the idea of a vampire + dragon. We feel its overkill and unbalancing. And I think we all just want to say "hell no".

BUT, we don't have any rules against it, and we also all want to be really fair and not just spring new rules on applications after they have already posted it.

So, I'm going to make a call on it.

As much as I hate the idea, I hate being unfair more, so I'm going to approve it. I am also going to go and update my rules immediately to end any more multi-racial supe applications from being posted again. Smile

On a final note, you apparently can write very well, and I am sure you are an excellent RPer, but if other players complain about this char being role-played as OP, we'll have to re-evaluate.

Sound good?
Lara
Topic Options