Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Historical Forms of Address
Brick 
Hello, everyone!  During some previous RP, I've noticed that our forms of address seem a bit....chaotic.  I thought I'd toss this up so everyone has an historical basis on how to refer to others, especially during more political/more formal RP, if desired.  This comes predominantly from 16th century English conventions, so is more fitting for Emlyn, Kraestret, and Raeyithia (and the minor houses therein), whereas the far north Andalstad and far south Andus would possibly have different naming conventions.  However, these are just basic enough to translate easily to each kingdom and still be understood.

Rulers of Kingdoms
Speaking TO:  Your Majesty (informal); Your Majesty, [title] [first name] (formal)
Speaking OF:  His/Her Majesty (informal); His/Her Majesty, [title] [first name] (more formal); His/Her Majesty, [title] [first name] of [kingdom] (super-formal)

Generally speaking, the more formal (or more flattering) one wishes to be, the more titles get tacked on.  This, of course, only goes for those who are actively playing a "monarch" role.  The Lord Regent of Emlyn, for example, would be Lord Regent, not Your Majesty.

Princes/Princesses
Speaking TO:  Your Highness; Your Highness, [title] [first name]
Speaking OF:  His/Her Highness; His/Her Highness, [title] [first name] of [kingdom]

Rulers of Noble Houses
Going from least formal to most:  My Lord/Lady; Lord/Lady [first name]; Lord/Lady [lands]; Lord/Lady [first name], [title] of [lands or guild]

Much like the royalty, excess formality can be given by tacking on additional titles; conversely, lack of titles indicates familiarity or (depending on context) insult.  For example, Raewyn Darkclaw may be addressed as either Lady Raewyn, Lady Carigsay, Lady Raewyn, Ceannasai of the Wardens, etc.  It just depends how thick you want to lay it on.

Knights/Lady Knights
Sir [first name]; Sir [first name] of [lands or guild]

Historically, there were no lady knights.  But feel free to address them either the same as male knights, or replace "Sir" with "Lady."  Also, referring to a knight as "Sir [surname]" is considered improper.

Council Members
Going from least formal to most:  [first name]; [title] [surname], Lord/Lady [position]

Council members get an extra level of complexity, as their titles really only get used if addressing them AS that position.  For example, if one is addressing Alaster Niall of the Black Lion, who is a knight AND the Lord Inquisitor, one could speak to him informally as "Sir Alaster."  But if addressing him in his power/faculties as the inquisitor, it would be "Lord Inquisitor" or even "Inquisitor Niall."

Everyone Else (I don't want to use "commoners")
Going from least formal to most:  [first name]; Master/Mistress [surname]; (if their craft is known) Master/Mistress [profession]

If one does not know a person's name, it is perfectly acceptable to refer to them by profession.  Goibne would be (and probably is) commonly addressed as "Master Smith" or "Master Blacksmith."  However, Master/Mistress [first name] is considered improper, and a low-key insult, as this is how children are addressed.

[Image: Raewyn-Signiture.jpg]
Topic Options