Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Minthe Thaleia
Discord ID — Katya#7341

Previous Characters -- Katya, Eve Sinde, Arzu Eventide, etc etc! 

Character Name — Minthe Thaleia

Character Race/Sub-race —

Race: Muiri

Sub-race: Nereid (Siren/Sea Nymph, Greek mythology)

Alternate Graphic —

None needed. (Unless anyone has any good ideas for one, I’m at a loss!)

(Minthe, in her previous world -- click for larger!)

(Minthe in Sanctuary!)

Character Description —

Reaching all of a glorious five and a half feet in height, Minthe embodies the ocean on a dazzling summer’s afternoon.

Her skin is flawless and tinted palest blue; with the shimmering, pearly iridescence of delicate scales located around her cheekbones, shoulders, hips, and ankles.

Hair the color of deep amethyst — so dark it appears black, unless the sun hits it right — is worn loose and ripples down to the small of her back, typically ornamented by bits of seashell, strings of pearls, and woven braids of seagrass. Her ears are long and pointed, with scaly, finned edges.

Extremely large, almond-shaped eyes are a dazzling sapphire-blue, slightly more luminescent than those of a human. Her fingers are long and delicate, and — as she prefers to forego the constraints of shoes — one might notice her toes are clearly webbed; a remnant of her previous world.

She speaks very carefully, almost melodically, and prefers singing to speech, thank you very much. She isn't used to "Surfacefolk" speech, and chooses her words with care. Charm and diplomacy come naturally to her, though, so she manages quite well. 

Character Kingdom —

Undecided, likely Raeyithia or Kraestrat.

Shard Plotline —

Minthe has been brought to Sanctuary by the unnamed Ocean Principality (the god of the sea, from a world of vast, endless ocean). As her original purpose was to exist as a mischievous, alluring trickster of the seas, she will find herself likely identifying with the capricious goals of faerie Queen Medbh (Mab). However, I’d like to spend some time searching for a House that might accept Minthe and her intent to use charm, charisma, and subtlety to ensure a safe place for herself and social/political prosperity for the House she chooses.

(Essentially, a diplomat, spy, or a bit of both — I just haven’t nailed down a House yet, and would like to see where her personality takes her.)

Special Role-Play Trait —

Siren’s Song: Minthe has a voice, and knows how to use it. She presents herself as a minstrel or court singer-for hire, and possesses an exceptionally clear, sweet, and charming voice. Those who listen have the potential to feel a bit dazed, or perhaps juuuuuust a little more susceptible to her suggestions.

Previous World —

Minthe hails from a nameless world of vast, infinite oceans. Land has been gone since before anyone living can remember — the only inhabitants of the world are wandering seafarers, nomadic voyager tribes, and creatures of the depths. Minthe is one of these. Survival is exceedingly difficult beneath the waves, as hundreds of species of merfolk, nixies, naga, Abyssals, and more vie for control over the surfacefolk above, and over their vastly complicated internal politics below.

The waterfolk — usually referred to collectively by surface-dwellers as the Mer — generally view inhabitants of the surface ocean and shallower waters as beneath them; they are either food, or resources to take advantage of.

Minthe, however, is different.

Backstory —

Hush now, my darling, don’t say a word...

Sailors live so restlessly
Come with me, sleep peacefully.
Listen to this siren’s song,
Worry not, for nothing’s wrong.

Follow my voice, come this way...
I would never lead you astray.
Trust me when you peer over the side.
Falling, flying, follow the tides...

Can you hear my call, through fire and storm?

Hear my voice beneath the sea,
Sleeping now, so peacefully.
At the bottom of my world,
Sleep, now, for eternity.

Ocean was your lover’s name,
You all love her, all the same.
Now you’ll always be together,
For sirens are so very clever...

Minthe brushed the lad’s vacant eyes closed with a petulant sigh.

Why can’t they just... wait?

The shimmering fins of her elder sisters vanished beneath the twilight waves, their arms full of treasures (trinkets, gold and silver pieces, waterlogged silks, a few ornately-crafted and jewel-encrusted weapons) and their lithe tails churning the water into a bloody foam.

What was left of the grand, tall ship floated in pieces around the small outcropping of rock; the lone, tiny island barely visible in this quadrant of the Infinite Abyss. Flames flickered among a few of the larger pieces (thanks to the burst powder magazine), and the bodies of the rover band were too numerous to immediately count.

Minthe had arrived late, as always — as her clan’s Foremost Siren, she was only allowed to stop singing once the ship had fully run aground.

And just this once, she had nearly managed to find a survivor.

The lad was beautiful, in a quiet way. Fair hair and sky-blue eyes, slender, wearing simple linens. He could have been an envoy, from the quality of the linen — one of many that the constantly-warring surfacefolk sent between tribes in rare times of peace.

She had so wanted to see him. To speak to one of them and hear them speak back — she was so weary of singing them to their deaths.

At first, it had been a game. For her early years as clan Siren, it was fun — how quickly could she lure the ships aground? In a world of eternal, restless oceans, treacherous shoals were numerous and willing victims, plentiful. 

Minthe gave the lad one last, longing look; and then prepared to follow her sisters into the Deep. 

Sky-blue eyes opened, one more time. 

A sharp... pain? Why pain?

She glanced down, and the hilt of a wickedly-curved dagger jutted from her slender side. The lad, using the last of his strength, stared into her sapphire eyes with his own -- flared wide with fear and revulsion. 

I... just wanted to say hello...

The waves crashed around them and the world before her faded. 

When she awoke, she was alone. Cold. And her fins... gone.

Contrary to popular belief, the wings of demons are the same as the wings of angels, although they're often better groomed.

--Neil Gaiman
Thumbs up! Love the story <3
Thumps up!
Nice story. Approved. Smile

[Image: Dali-Signature-3.jpg]
1 1
Topic Options