Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Cuivian Chronicle
The Cuivian Chronicle
1st Edition                                                       Summer I

New Mayor for Drokkburg 
Long-time resident and businesswoman Sahja Khouri was named Mayor of Drokkburg last week in a surprising announcement. Claims of leadership across the kingdoms are neither uncommon or unexpected, however this is likely the first declaration as mayor of a capital city. And while having no authority to dispatch armies in case of attack, Miss Khouri is dedicated to the safety of the city as much as her capacity allows. "Drokkburg was the first place I felt truly home in - her people helped me feel part of their fold. I love this city and this kingdom. I felt it was time for me to give back and help," the mayor said. However, one can only wonder what has become of the king. 

When questioned about King Julian's thoughts on the matter of the new appointment, Miss Khouri stated she had his full backing. Attempts were to reach out to King Julian for comment were unsuccessful. 

Curious eyes are now watching the new mayor and waiting to see what comes of her efforts in the coming months.

Ostard Race Comes to Tarasinau 
Sign-ups for the new ostard race continue as the organizers try to encourage others to participate. The invitation has been extended worldwide and those setting up have stressed that any variety of the beast is eligible for registration. Good news for those that prefer the ornery frenzied! 

The circuit is slated to take place in and around Tarasinau, but no markers have yet been laid out. The swamps certainly introduce an element of risk and excitement for the racers and ostards. Perhaps there is a chance of practice before the race - who knows, perhaps you'll take the winning place.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

** Ask Baba Sorina **

Dear Baba: 
During a recent excursion to Underhill, my companions and I found ourselves at the mercy of the Lord of the Abyss himself. Though we escaped mostly unharmed, I fear I must confess the lord has stolen my most precious possession - my heart. Ever since that fateful encounter, I find my thoughts returning to him. His ferocity in battle, his regal bearing, his wingspan! It's all I can think about anymore. I know I can't bring this up to my hunting companions, they will think it unnatural, or leave me behind next time. Baba Sorina, I need your help! How can I let the Lord of the Abyss know my intentions, and ensure that he returns them? 
-Heartsick in Haverbron 

My Dearest Heartsick: 
Ah! We cannot choose who our heart chooses to love! Any who met my first husband will be knowing this is all too true. But be wary of risks involved, for the sunflower may gaze adoringly upon the sun, but the sun would burn the flower to cinder should he draw closer. Not out of malice, but from his very nature. First of all, I would suggest spending some days away from the lord's domain, to see if his influence remains. If you are finding the love will not fade, then it is best to remember he is a Lord, and protocol must be observed. Send a letter to him, by imp messenger, to make your presence known to him. It is important that the letter be upon cloth of the salamander wool, if you are finding it, or at the very least thick parchment, which will not burn so quickly as the paper. It is possible that he may return your affections, but with distance between you the fires will not burn so brightly as to dull your senses, both figurative and literally. A heart shared is more precious than a heart stolen, dear Heartsick, and I am hoping that with time, you may find this to be the case. Also, if you are finding this to be the case, I would then suggest you tell your friends. If they are true friends, they will have understanding of your desires, and if not, it is better to be knowing this. Wishing you neither fluff nor feather in reclaiming your lost heart! 
-Baba Sorina 

(Do you need sage advice or help dealing with the most troublesome predicament? Send an anonymous letter to Baba Sorina for help and it will be published in our next issue!)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+The Grapevine+

+Rodents have been spotted running across the floors of the Great Library in Meissa. Has housekeeping fallen out of favor for the revered site of knowledge? 

+Two children found a gigantic snakeskin east of Brigh Darcan in Evervale. At a whopping 6 feet long, folks are wondering who it belongs to. 

+An Andal man was seen being chased out of a tavern after a drunken rant. Sources say that Andals are now banned from that particular place.

Recipe of the Week

Spider Kabobs

What you need:
-Spider Leg Meat (giant spiders - dread spiders for spicy version)
-Purple Onions
-Sweet Tubers

What you do:
Skewer each one piece at a time and repeating onto a wooden stick. Season with salt, pepper, crushed red pepper. Roast over campfire while rotating slowly. When leg meat turns pink, it's ready to eat.

(Submitted by Toggi of Mirkwater)
The Cuivian Chronicle
Summer II

Emlyn Reclaims Border Estates
Upon the walls of Caerleon flies the banner of Emlyn's new royal couple, King Eli and Queen Melinda Dahmut. The last few months have kept the royal couple busy following a rocky start to their reign. Despite this, the monarchs have kept busy tending to their people and their duties to the kingdom and its safety. Most recently, the border estates that had been lost in the war with The Great Northern Army have been reclaimed and stabilized. The victory has seen a wave of relief over the citizens of Caerleon and has proven to be catalyst in the kingdom's recent bloom.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**Ask Baba Sorina**
Dear Baba:
Let me start by saying that I am an Erling, an entwife. Our memories run as deep as our roots. I still remember the horror that the Thorn King and his Andals brought to this world those many years ago. My friends and family lost their homes, some lost their lives, and we all suffered under his reign. After he vanished, I thought our lives would go back to normal, but I still feel a dread creeping over my body like moss whenever I see a human anymore. Knowing what they are capable of, how can I ever go back to trusting my neighbors? I don't want to live through that fear ever again.
-Terrified in Tarasinau
My dearest Terrified: 
Oh, what a heartbreaking letter it is to find from you! The rule of the Thorn King was a blight upon this world, make no mistake, and those who do nyet remember these events may be doomed to repeat them. I will urge you to remember, a dog may be capable of biting, a horse may throw its rider, but we do not shun these creatures from our lives! So too is it with the humans of this world. They are capable of great evil, dah, but also of great good. I urge you, dear Terrified, to reach out to humans that you know and who are knowing of you, neighbors with shared goals. You will find perhaps that there is more in common than different between you. I do nyet know if you will ever be free of the fear that is gripping your heart, but know that bravery is nyet the absence of fear. It is standing like the mightiest yew tree in the storms of wickedness. And a lone tree is nyet so sturdy as a forest. Reach out, make allies, ensure the memory is nyet lost in the younger peoples, and together we may prevent future pain. Wishing you neither fluff nor feather!
-Baba Sorina
(Do you have need of sage advice or help with dealing with a most troublesome predicament? Send an anonymous letter to Baba Sorina for help and have it published in the next issue!)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+The Grapevine+

+Loud, angry shouts were heard near The Elysium but no deaths reported, leading locals to speculate wildly.
+A red haired aelfyn man was caught kissing a dryad at a recent ball held in Tarasinau. Later, a spat broke out in which a raven eyed woman slapped the red haired man!
+Sources say that Meissa has set up curious traps around the library in hopes to gain control of their pest predicament.

Recipe of the Week
Baked White Fish
2 cod or tilapia
1 handful of pine nuts
1 half-handful of stinky cheese
3 cloves of garlic
3 pinches of basil paste
Chop pine nuts and garlic finely, then mix with basil paste and cheese. Spread mixture over the fillets and bake for about 15 minutes. Serve this hot!
(Submitted by Finna of Karrandal)
Due to the previous copy boy getting horribly mangled by rampaging orcs three days past, the next issue of the Cuivian Chronicle will be delayed. Services for Jack Quick will be held privately by his family. He will be greatly missed.

In related news, we are currently taking applications for a new copy boy.
The Cuivian Chronicle
Summer III

Raeyithia Sees Prosperity and Protection
Denizens of the kingdom were alarmed to learn recently that goblin war bands were seen along their borders, inciting a sudden panic in the capital. However, under the strength and protection of Lady Rendethryn Stormsong of Carigsay, the would-be raiders were driven off without any casualties. It was not long ago that Stormsong arrived in Tarasinau, seeking to help the people re-establish the glory their kingdom once had. The lady has worked tirelessly side by side with the citizens plowing fields, tending to crops, and restocking food stores, as well as lifting spirits. It comes as no surprise that Lady Stormsong is rumored to be taking the throne of Raeyithia soon.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Ask Baba Sorina**

Dear Baba Sorina,
Lately I've found myself feeling more and more adrift in a world that doesn't have a place for me, and I don't know what to do. I work as a shepherd, and every day is the same: take the sheep out, keep count of the sheep, move the sheep, bring the sheep back. Not a thrilling life, by any means, and I imagine if some day I just walked off into the wilderness and vanished, only the sheep would care. I've never married, and while I do have friends, they have their own lives and their own worries. Help me, Baba Sorina. How do I make my life have purpose again? How can I start enjoying life again?
-Down in Dornear

Dear Down,
Oh, my dear one, do not for one moment think that your life is without the purpose, even if you cannot see it. The purpose is that it is yours, and that is more than enough! Do not seek quantify your life as if you were weighing the wool at market.

I know in dark times, in stormy times, we can feel disconnected from those around us, but just because we cannot see the ropes does not mean the boat is gone. Follow the ropes and give a good hard pull if you must to draw them back into sight! Let them know you are there and that you need them.

I will also say to you, dear one, that ailments of the body are not limited to the bumps and bruises so easily seen, and sometimes the head and the heart are injured also. While I can only give to you this written advice, a healer may lend greater aid. Know that you matter, malyshki, you shine in the darkness, and the world would be all the darker without your glow. Ty ne adin - you are nyet alone.
-Baba Sorina

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+The Grapevine+

+Meissa rodent problem is getting worse and it seems the rats have outsmarted the smartest made traps!
+A pair of purple knickers with the initial S sewn into them were found in the bushes near Brigh Darcan. If these are yours, you can claim them from the top of the silver tree.
Topic Options