Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Varan Smeltmail
Discord Id: Cinder (복숭아#6941)
Previous Characters: Kai Baekjung
Character Name: Varan Smeltmail
Character Race & Sub-Race: Hoggur; Smallfolk (Dwarf)
Alternate Graphic: Iron golem

Character Description
Varan is a tall dwarven Smallfolk standing at 4'11" (149cm). One would think this would be a matter of pride but such height is a huge inconvenience in the mine. As all Smallfolk he is thickly built and well muscled with broad shoulders and waist. His hair is long and meticulously well kept, a light straw color that compliments fair complexion and pale blue eyes. As all Smeltmails, his features are distinguishable and he comes from a long line of dwarves that call the north home. His voice is a deep bass and rough from years of pipe tobacco.

Varan is BLIND which is noticeable by the thick cataracts that cover already pale eyes but he manages to get around just fine it seems as long as he is barefoot.

Shard Plot Line (Strengths & Weaknesses)
Varan is the son of the son of the son of Angar Smeltmail (great-great grandson), a still-heralded ancestor that was one of the greatest of the Smeltmail Lords. Coming from the loins of a dwarf that once served as right hand of the king is no small matter. Being born with a disadvantage, no matter how accepted it may be among the Hoggur, only makes it worse. Varan has struggled with feeling like he isn't enough to uphold the proud lineage of his forefathers since he was a child and the pressures of becoming something great are starting to weigh on him now that he's entered the prime of his life and his father is aging. He's well-known among the people of Midrvegr as most of the Smeltmails are especially through the northern fiefdoms. Those that know him and his kin probably expect him to end up in a political line, whether that actually comes to pass or not.

Special Role-play Ability
Metalsinger: Being a miner that often relies on his other senses more than his sight, Varan has a keen awareness of metal in all its forms. When he handles metal items and focuses on them, he can deign details of their past. This varies due to a lot of factors but can include who last held it, what it was last used for, or where the ore it was crafted out of originated from.

Previous World
Varan is a native of Cuivienen born from a generational line of Smeltmail dwarves.

Backstory
He was born blind. Lucky for him, he was also born Smeltmail and such an inconvenient incident was just that... only an inconvenience. Varan was the first son of five, the robust and remarkably large eldest child of Andol and Kela Smeltmail of northern Midrvegr. Even for a Hoggur he was always described as down-to-earth with a little too much seriousness in his bones. If he were dropped in the ocean he would sink like lead to the bottom, he was so grounded.

He was barely an adolescent when he learned how to "see" in his way. He'd always been good at tapping into the magic that lives like a pulse in everything within Cuivienen in small ways especially when it came to things that were earth or grew in it, but he had never thought to use the earth itself in the way he did that day.

He had lost his walking stick.

No, some brats from the village his father and he were visiting had stolen it from him in some joke. Lost and scared but too stubborn to show it, he stumbled around like a fool until he had sloshed right into muck and mud that smelled like it wasn't just mud. That's what made him take off boots and stockings. That's what made him squish through that muck barefoot until he found grass instead of who knew what else under his toes. That's when he noticed he could sense things in the strangest of ways. Everything had a little bit of vibration to it with each step he took. That's how he learned to see, and the last day he ever wore shoes.

Since then Varan has grown into a decent man with a decent grasp of his deep connection with the earth. It provides much for him in the mines, in the fields, beyond... but his days as a do-as-I-please sort are coming to an end as his father's health ails and the weight of the Smeltmail name begins settling on painfully unprepared shoulders.
This sounds like a REALLY fun character! Can't wait to meet him!
*paws*
Hello. The way you explain the shapechange, more as 'earth armor," than just simply having the ability to be an earth elemental seems interesting to me. Additionally, considering your story I would say you basically decided for yourself option #1, in terms of special role play abilities. Honestly, that is the one I would of picked too since I find it more interesting that he can sorta "see," the world around him due to his being in-tuned to the earth. So it fits well for me.

I really enjoyed the application. It's a thumbs up from me. Smile

[Image: Dali-Signature-3.jpg]
1 1
I like this special ability:

Option 3 - Metalsinger: Being a miner that often relies on his other senses more than his sight, Varan has a keen awareness of metal in all its forms. When he handles metal items and focuses on them, he can deign details of their past. This varies due to a lot of factors but can include who last held it, what it was last used for, or where the ore it was crafted out of originated from.
Hello again,

After talking it over, Lara and I came up with some good earth related options for the shapechange; a Boura, or an Oni. You could also probably go with an Iron Golem, and justify it via rp as you putting on a suit of sorts, since viking dwarves are crafty and would likely construct such a thing.

Aside from that approved. Smile

[Image: Dali-Signature-3.jpg]
1 1
This has been edited. Edits are the shape change and his special ability!
Approved. Page for setup.
Topic Options