Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raid and Terrorize with Torolf
I am pasting the conversation I had with Torolf regarding Raids and Terrorize in RPCSS.
LaraYesterday at 3:56 PM
Torolf, Ova is our shard Game Master. I want to stage a raid against "un owned" land, my goal is primarily RP and psychological value. But to establish some rules, I'd like them to be at least related to what we plan for Raids in RPCSS.

How far did we design for a raiding party to travel in RPCSS? Was it like spies, anywhere on the map within the turn? Was it X number of hexes a week like an army?

If the raiding party is NOT attacking a controlled hex would you as a game master recommend a different movement rate?

How much did issuing a raid command cost? Was it 1 RPCSS gold per order? If the attack was against unowned land, and thus has no actual RPCSS game mech value how much cheaper would you make it as a game master?

If there is a dice roll to learn about the raid either BEFORE or AFTER the raid would that effect either the travel time or the cost? Could you propose some dice values to Ova using RPCSS as a basic standard?

If the raid does not pass thru anyone's controlled hexes, does that effect the chance of the roll? Or would it at best involve a vague, "A small gathering of arm men were seen along the X road."

TorolfYesterday at 8:11 PM
Ok
So, the original intention of the Raid order was so that an army could counteract army orders from enemies in adjacent hexes. Each team can use up to 2 raid orders per turn as a specific command for one of their standing armies, performed on an adjacent hex, with the effect of removing that hex's "support, consolidate power, or raid" actions
so it's used as a sort of debuffer/counter tactic
Raid orders - Your army commits a raid on an adjacent tile. Raid Orders represent aggressive incursions and pillaging of enemy lands. They aim to disrupt enemy plans and drain him of precious resources. A Raid Order is resolved during the first step of the Action Phase by expending itself to remove one adjacent enemy Support, Consolidate Power, or Raid Order. A marshal may issue 2 raid orders per turn.
that's how I had it written originally
To the question about using it on unowned or unoccupied hexes, I hadn't considered that since I was focused on the rules logic for army vs army. Nor had I at the time considered the way RPCSS might interact with the host game, which certainly opens up alot more possibilities than I'd originally considered
There was no dice roll for the action, it just happened with 100% success originally. If it's scope is to be expanded for other things (generating gold bars for instance when raiding undefended hexes), then I think some form of "value" should be applied to hexes and a percentage chance given based on how "hard" it is to raid that type of hex. Raiding a city should be harder than a farm for instance
and that value determines the amount of gold generated, or possibly generated based on the % rolled

TorolfYesterday at 8:21 PM
A raid order is really an action for your standing army to commit, and it's target must be the hex adjacent to it as originally written, so distance shouldn't be much of a factor. You had to have an army present to commit to a raid. Using a spy action to do something similar would be more like a terrorize.
Terrorize order - 1+ Saboteur
The MoW sends a group of men, be they brigands, religious fanatics, or even the lord's own sworn men, into another region on the map in order to sow terror in the populace by rape and pillage. The affected region causes a loss of 1 gold bar, but increases the muster point of any muster troop actions in the region by +1
that was the spymaster action of similar flavor

LaraYesterday at 8:23 PM
AHHHH okay, I see, I totally misunderstood that, Okay, so we are talking about a completely different thing. It is Terrorize then that we are discussing. Can I ask you to go back and answer my questions as it relates to Terrorize?
TorolfYesterday at 8:23 PM
Of course
How far did we design for a raiding party to travel in RPCSS? Was it like spies, anywhere on the map within the turn? Was it X number of hexes a week like an army?

The terrorize order never had a range tied down to it, mainly because the idea of it was that the spymaster had ways of getting the agents together quickly and didn't need to march men from one point on a map to another. Some gold (not enough to equal a gold bar) is paid off to some local thugs who do the act knowing that whatever loot they get, they keep (the loss of 1 gold bar from the target is their reward so to speak)

How much did issuing a raid command cost? Was it 1 RPCSS gold per order? If the attack was against unowned land, and thus has no actual RPCSS game mech value how much cheaper would you make it as a game master?

The only cost associated was the use/risk of 1 or more of the spymasters saboteurs

If there is a dice roll to learn about the raid either BEFORE or AFTER the raid would that effect either the travel time or the cost? Could you propose some dice values to Ova using RPCSS as a basic standard?

No dice roll needed, however there is a way to contest the order. The use of the "counterintelligence order" by an opposing spymaster, with deployed spies can cause the terrorize order, or any other spymaster order, to fail.

As written for the spymaster:

Actions taken by a SM take affect at the start of the next turn after they are ordered. . Orders can be given to each agent separately or they can send multiple agents of the same type in order to support an order, gaining a bonus of +1 strength per agent. They may use their spy and saboteur assets to enact the following orders
Counterintelligence order - +1 Spy
A network of counter agents are deployed within the target region. For every point of strength this order has, one point is negated from any hostile Spy or Saboteur actions. Should this order defeat an incoming hostile order, the agents used in that order are lost to the attacking MoW and must be replaced.
Infiltrate order - +1 Spy
Target an army. For the next 3 turns, any orders issued to this army are reported to the MoW's hud.
So those two orders are your way of finding out something's going to happen
and stopping it
Topic Options