Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Application for Qheela Aslani (Second Attempt!)
Discord Id - Raindancer

Previous Characters - Aianna Mhuir

Character Name - Qheela (KEE-lah)

Character Race & Sub-Race -  Aelfeyn - Native Aldaayiein

Alternate Graphic - Dread Spider (Don't know what color, purple maybe?)

Character Description - Qheela is exceptionally tall, seeming all the taller due to her slender build.  Her features are sharp, yet elegant, giving her an ageless quality.  Smooth caramel skin is marred only by a smattering of white dots painted upon her brow, traditional markings that resemble the eyes of a spider, and by the heavy kohl that lines her striking amethyst eyes.  She is typically adorned with jewel-bright silks and smells faintly of jasmine and amber.
She would almost seem two souls sharing a single body.  When performing her sacred duties, she is poised and serene; when "off the clock," as it were, she becomes joyful and exuberant.

Shard Plot Line (Strengths & Weaknesses) Hopefully she will play a role within Andus as a priestess to The Three
Strength - Keen mind, perceptive and intelligent
Weakness - Naivete of the outside world.  She has book smarts in spades, streets smarts not so much

Special Role-play Ability - I'm having a hard time coming up with anything, and could use some suggestions

Previous World - Native, though she has spent much of her time hidden away in Meissa

Backstory - When the poison of the Thorn King crept across the land, Qheela's people were among the first casualties.  Some embraced a nomadic life, always on the move to avoid persecution.  Others, like her clan, chose to risk hiding in plain sight, disguising their features and squelching their gifts to escape their fate.
Qheela and her immediate family had served as scholars and scribes in the great library of Meissa, unnoticed guardians of the world's history.  Like her mother, she became adept at the loom and at illusion magic, creating great woven masterpieces that recorded historical events and, sometimes, when the light shone just right, also revealed information about the enemy.
And so it was, for many years, until the Thorn King's influence had been purged and relative peace returned to the lands, and her clan could once more practice their magic without fear.  After the great slave rebellion, Qheela and a few others were sent to the shining jewel of Al'Shadiya, to serve in the court of the new vizier.  But life beyond the library walls was very different from the records within, and Qheela soon wondered if she was in over her head.
[As an aside, I've spoken with both Tyrseus/Shak and Lyrrin about the character]
Hello, Raindancer. This application is looking good.

As for a special rp ability, how about something where she can momentarily change the perception of a person in close proximity so that they deem her inconsequential--sorta to play into the fact she and her people have been in hiding for so long, so a skill to help her in that. Or perhaps something similar like an ability to calm those very close around her so that they then tend to overlook things they otherwise would not?

These are just suggestions really since you requested a bit of help. If nothing seems to work with the character you are going for don't feel obligated to pick any. Smile

[Image: Dali-Signature-3.jpg]
1 1
When the poison of the Thorn King crept across the land, Qheela's people were among the first casualties.

The Aldaayiein as a race did not really develop until after the arrival of the thorn king, so they were not the first casualties. 
http://www.sanctuaryshard.com/index.php?...n_of_Andus

I did discover that they were not on the time line, so I have added them where they belong:
http://www.sanctuaryshard.com/index.php?..._Years_Ago

And so it was, for many years, until the Thorn King's influence had been purged
The Thorn King ruled for 2000 years, and that ended about 70 years ago.  There is nothing wrong in the way you phrased it, but I want to make sure have the scope of time correct.

This race does not have any special shape change defined for them like some others do, therefore it should follow the shape change for all Aelfeyn:
http://www.sanctuaryshard.com/index.php?...ve_Aelfeyn

Shapechange
Unlike Muiri, the Aelfeyn's natural form is always humanoid; but many have gained the ability to shapeshift into other natural animal forms, primarily birds and mammals. Native Aelfeyn do not have a dragon shapeshift.
I should have made it more clear on the application (also I was afraid I would end up writing a novel), but her shape change is more of an illusion than an alternate form. Also I kind of pictured her as Arachne from Greek myth, a skilled weaver, and was trying to incorporate that. But I can change it to a bird or mammal.

I will work on fixing the backstory to be more in line with the history. Thanks for the help!
Hello. I totally see how a spider fits your backstory. But I did want to point out that the race selected states in the wiki...

"Unlike Muiri, the Aelfeyn's natural form is always humanoid; but many have gained the ability to shapeshift into other natural animal forms, primarily birds and mammals. Native Aelfeyn do not have a dragon shapeshift."

So picking a spider shapechange is a bit out of the norm. May I suggest something smaller like a trapdoor spider?

Also, keep in mind that because of her odd shapechange she is contrary to the norm and that may be an interesting dynamic even among her own kind--she might even be viewed as odd among them.

1 1
Discord Id - Raindancer

Previous Characters - Aianna Mhuir

Character Name - Qheela Aslani

Character Race & Sub-Race -  Aelfeyn - Native Aldaayiein

Alternate Graphic - Cat (reddish-brown color, like a ruddy Abyssinian)

Character Description - At just under 7', Qheela is exceptionally tall, and seems all the taller due to her slender build.  Her features are sharp, yet elegant, giving her an ageless quality.  Smooth caramel skin is decorated with delicate harquus designs, and by the kohl lining her pale green eyes.  She is typically adorned with jewel-bright silks and smells faintly of jasmine and amber.
She would almost seem two souls sharing a single body.  When performing her sacred duties, she is poised and serene; when "off the clock," as it were, she becomes joyful and exuberant.

Shard Plot Line (Strengths & Weaknesses) Hopefully she will play a role within Andus as a priestess to The Three
Strength - Keen mind, perceptive and intelligent
Weakness - Naivete of the outside world.  She has book smarts in spades, streets smarts not so much

Special Role-play Ability - Perception Filter: If she should concentrate on a particular individual or area, she becomes unseen.  Not invisible, but inconsequential.  A person can look right at her, but their gaze slides past without acknowledgement.

Previous World - Native, though she has spent much of her time hidden away in Meissa

Backstory - Market Day was always Qheela's favorite day, watching as the caravan of merchants and entertainers erected a makeshift city of colorful tents beyond the library walls.  Not only did they bring exotic goods from across the continent, but oh the stories they could tell!  Engrossing tales filled with action and emotion: not the dessicated ramblings of a historian that was clearly paid by the page.

She shook herself with a little laugh, looking once more across the sea of stalls from her balcony before retreating to prepare for the day.  Somewhere down there, her mother and aunts were already selling their latest textiles.  Hers, too, though she'd never had quite the talent for haggling they did.  Her talent rested upon the loom: in taking the teachings of mighty Acrab, wise Hekanani, valiant Cassia, and giving them physical form upon the weft.

At least in Meissa she was able to study The Three to her heart's delight.  For generations, Qheela's family had served as archivists and scholars in the great library, which had always afforded some measure of safety against the Thorn King's ever-growing shadow.  Her life there had been idyllic, albeit sheltered; even after His defeat, small pockets of resistance made a fully open existence dangerous.  But such matters were the last thing on her mind as she raced down the stairs, nimbly whirling to avoid a passing apprentice in the hall, to the bustling Market.

Row upon row of stalls offered a dazzling assortment of delights.  Glistening jewelry and dried herbs, weaponry and clothing and a selection of tomes that held the biggest crowd of all (always play to the crowd, she thought in passing).  The air was heavy with incense and the smell of grilling meats, and a group of entertainers danced and played music nearby, giving the market the air of a festival.

"Whole place stinks of kosejinn," an unkind voice growled nearby, causing the hair on the back of Qheela's neck to stand on end.  She returned the spool of silk thread she had been examining and casually straightened her headscarf, ensuring her ears were covered, but not casually enough.  She caught the man nudging his companion, the slight jut of his chin in her direction.  She smiled to the merchant and moved through the crowd, keeping her pace measured but purposeful.  The men followed.  No good, she thought with a frown.  All the sights, the sounds and smells made it almost impossible to concentrate on creating an illusion, so she kept moving, weaving through the maze of tents and people.  Irritated voices picked up behind her; her pursuers weren't nearly as graceful in navigating the crowd, and had started shoving their way through to keep up.  Swallowing the sudden urge of panic, she ducked into a narrow space between stalls, narrowly ahead of the two men.

They rounded the corner after her, and...nothing.  A reddish-brown cat sat on a stack of crates, staring unblinking at the intruders, though neither of them seemed quite capable of focusing on the creature.  After a moment of confused silence, they turned and left, searching the rest of the row.  The cat blinked slow, seeming to sigh as it hopped down from its perch, the illusion melting away as Qheela resumed her natural form.  She headed off through the twists and turns of the market, unknowingly about to reunite with her pursuers.  A hand shot out and grabbed her by the arm; one of the dancers from the troupe whisked her into a quick spinning dance to the delight of the crowd.  "Not that way," the woman murmured low, dark eyes aglow with mischief.  As they completed the turn, she spun Qheela away down another path, winking to her as she danced into the crowd.

---

Despite her close call, Qheela's thirst for the experiences of the outside world only grew.  Some months after, word came to Meissa of a great slave uprising in the capital of Al Shadiya, and that the newly appointed Vizier wished men and women versed in The Three to serve in his fledgeling court.  Perhaps to the surprise of even herself, Qheela was among the first volunteers, and soon set off with the others to the jewel of Andus.
I like this. Thumbs up. It will be good to have more religious figures.

Through the darkness, I am once again born and whole.

[Image: 6yejUdPm.jpg]
I love the changes to this application. I think you really took the advice we gave and not only made it your own but fit in line with the history/culture you selected. It looks great to me. Thumbs up. Smile

1 1
approved
Topic Options