Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
RPCSS Changes to Lore, Rules and Mechanics
RPCSS Changes to Lore, Rules and Mechanics

Let me begin by apologizing for the length of this post. There is a lot of information and it may require more than one way of explaining things. Second, let me just say how difficult it is to predict the behavior and opinions of a player base even after nearly three decades of running communities such as this.

If you have no idea what RPCSS is about and choose to go read the wiki about it, please note that I have not updated the wiki yet.  I am posting this FIRST and then will begin the process of making changes to the wiki.

So, what's the core problem?
RPCSS is not being utilized in the manner or to the extent that Mith and I had hoped, intended, or experienced the first time around.

What caused the problem?
It could be anything from not having enough players, the way in which guilds are viewed in UO, the requirements for getting involved being too steep, the early discussion involving more PvP on the shard, RPCSS itself, or just a lack of understanding its advantages.

What is the solution?
In the shortest explanation possible: RPCSS will no longer be tied to guilds. Instead, individual players will be able to claim one of the 25 forts, castles, towns, or manor houses on the mainland map AND the surrounding hexacre of land for themselves. This will give them a team in RPCSS where they can control NPC armies, spies, and RPCSS gold bars.

If this makes complete sense to you then you get a cookie!
If not, keep reading.
New Terms

Alliance
- the new concept for guilds instead of "Noble House"
Estate - the new term for a team in RPCSS and the land and buildings managed by it.
Noble House - a defunct term that will eventually be removed from the wiki.

What happens with Guilds?

Mechanics: Guilds change from being a single team in RPCSS to being an alliance of many teams (Estates). We assume each guild leader will also have their own estate, but it won't be required. We assume most guilds will aim for the leader to control the capital of a kingdom but that also isn't required.

Lore: The original intention was that the RPCSS guilds would be played more like Game of Throne's Noble Houses. That didn't happen for the most part. Even in the beginning, most of the guilds we approved were much more in the nature of being political or social organizations rather than noble houses. 

Practically, not really much is changing here. The three active "guilds" we currently have will remain active using their same lore. (They may choose to make some small changes, but there is nothing significant).  However, I will be updating the wiki to reflect how the guilds are actually being used -- as alliances.

Rules: There were some complicated rules and applications necessary for the formation of new guilds (noble houses). The process will be updated to reflect the change in RPCSS mechanics and the lore adjustment. Daisy and I will also see if we can streamline the application and set up process. 

The rules for running and keeping a guild will also be reviewed.

Tell me more about Estates
  • Any individual will be able to claim a hexacre of land on the mainland map. A hexacre of land is approximately 120 tiles across.
  • We have 25 of these hexacres with high-end castles, forts, manor houses, or towns in them.  We assume these will be the first 25 claimed.
  • You may only claim one estate per account.
Once you claim an estate:
  1. You will be registered into RPCSS where you can grow your estate into neighboring hexacres, muster armies, recruit spies, and collect taxes.
  2. You'll be able to join an alliance (guild) with your estate if you should wish to but it won't be required.
  3. You will be able to evict other characters from houses in your estate. You'll be offered your pick of houses to own for free, not rent.
  4. You will have to defend your estate from other RPCSS estates looking to grow into your area or attack your lands.
  5. All your characters will have access to your estate as if they were your main character.
  6. You will be able to name two other estate managers.
  7. You will be able to indicate allied and enemy estates, as well as allied and enemy alliances.
What else we have in mind ...
It is our goal to incentivize players into claiming estates.
  • Henchmen - Estate owners will get a small force of in-game NPC henchmen that they can use to fight with. These henchmen will be usable while hunting. You'll be able to dress them up and place them around your estates. They will attack enemy characters on your lands.
  • Resources - There will be an upgrade to the gathering of one or more resources. 
  • Status Upgrades - Customize upgrades to builds, deco, and landscapes can be purchased with RPCSS gold (not in-game gold).
  • Spawners - Customized spawns can be requested for your lands (within reasonread more here.).
  • NPCs - Customize NPCs can be requested for your lands. (This has been changed, read more here.)
  • BODs - We are working on implementing BODs for most of the craft skills. Completing BODs will give your estate advantages in combat. (Details pending)
  • Much More ...
When will this all begin?

RPCSS is currently on hold, so Mith has already started making the changes.  First, he will decouple RPCSS teams from guilds.  Second, he will create the ingame ability to establish your Estates and get a team in RPCSS. Third, he will make changes to how RPCSS works, including many bug fixes and a big change to multi-estate combat we need. 

We will make estates available to players at that point, and begin working on upgrades.  Maybe 4 to 6 weeks assuming no personal emergencies occur.

If you have questions, go ahead and post them.  I will edit your post and respond directly on the post so answers can be kept with questions.

Regards, Lara
Reserve your Estate

Because it will be weeks before anyone can claim their estate, I want to allow players to reserve an estate now.  This way, you can begin your role-play of the location ahead of time, as well as get housing access to the fort or castle there.
  • Izvorul (Fort just south of Drokwold) is not available for reservation as its too close to Drokkwold. 
  • Tarnstead has no buildings at all, but will be a wood and stone estate.
  • Esholt, Estervern and one other are currently palisade forts (like orc forts)

June 4th, 2020: The list of claimed and unclaimed estates has been moved to the wiki:

[Image: RPCSSmap.jpg]
I would like to claim one of the Drokkwold estates in the name of Vittoria di Mercurio.
Daciana for the main Drokk estate.
Jhasato claims Carigsay for the Dothraki khalasar

[Image: Raewyn-Signiture.jpg]
Dang I would have liked the vamp castle as it was part of my RP story line for Skorgi
I would like to claim Meissa for Hephaestra.
So if that is being taken out as a fort for rpcss then I would hope to get Molvernia
" I claim Brekka!!!" Tiernan remarks as he stares in new found revelations having glimpsed the city ( cause i looked at it)
In light of the second estate in Drokk no longer being part of RPCSS, I would like to claim Novochebay for Vittoria di Mercurio.
Topic Options
Thread Closed