Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gifts of The All-Mother
My name is Bhavika,” the Andusian woman stated with a tone both soft and confident. It took several moments and blinks of her serpentine eyes to draw her mind from the lucid state it was in. Sylise’s mind felt in two parts vying for control: one seeking to bring her to the present, the other determined to surrender to blackness. In a sensation that felt unnerving and electrically jolting, the blurry background of her surroundings came rapidly into focus. There she saw a middle-aged woman: frail looking arms with broad hands and slender fingers, bearing a diminutive stature.

Sylise’s throat felt dry again and her tongue felt glued to the roof of her mouth as she attempted to swallow, “I… My name is-” but was quickly cut off by the woman’s hushed voice and gently raised hand.

I know. You have been missing for weeks.”

Shame that had welled within her gut began to boil over steadily and Sylise tilted her head down with a heavy sigh. The truth behind those series of events that ultimately forced the naga to seek an end to her own life remained hidden from all. You should have left me, jadira… It was my intent to be taken by the sands.”

Bhavika poured a glass of water and retrieved a small vial of dark liquid from a shelf lined with baubles, jars, flasks, and other medical accouterments, setting both upon the tray. As she offered the items to the naga, an instance of compassion soften her features, “It would go against my oaths to leave anyone to perish... But you were found quite a ways from the sands, Your Highness.”

A feeling of sharp, hot pain clenched Sylise’s stomach, “Please… call me Sylise. I am no longer Herald.” Reality was hitting her like a lead brick now that she was recovering and on the mend, an unfortunate fact when one wanted nothing more than to… not exist. Her scales felt itchy, her eyes burned and despite having sipped at the water, the fire in her mouth didn’t subside. “How long…. Have I been… I’m sorry, where am I?”

Bhavika sat on the cushions before her, hiking her physician’s robe enough to settle in crossed leg. “You’ve been in Meissa just under week… The kingdom still needs its leader and you still are, for all accounts.” The woman’s voice was factual with an undercurrent of gentleness that seemed to have been cultivated over many years. Still, she didn’t reveal the full scale of the situation playing out in Al’Shadiya. Without an air of urgency, Bhavika sat letting silence fill in when necessary while Sylise gathered strength enough to speak, sipping from a cup of gahwa. A few minutes more passed before the naga drew in a resigned breath.

This world… knows little peace or progress. Those that share my convictions, my perceptions, my ideals… Are un-welcomed. Because of the tenets of my faith, I am certain that within all resides greater things… for the greater good. Yet, the All-Mother opened the way to deliver me here and I have failed to do..whatever it is I am meant.”

Sylise sipped the water, then ran her serpentine tongue over parched lips. “I thought I knew… I was given a second chance – a blessing from Her.” The cup in her hand lowered as she leaned forward a bit, a sadness quivering in her brow, “And I was not the only one to have survived the massacre in my home world.”

The brow of the woman raised, quietly surprised by the information, “There is another…?”

His name is Szar’thas. Our people are – WERE spread out all over the landmasses. Though we were not known to each other before here, we were still kin under the same All-Mother. Imagine it – to be saved from ultimate genocide and to not be the last of your kind.”

Exhaustion and fear had steadily crept like lichen up her body, starting from the barbed tip of her tail and already into her abdomen. Was she speaking too much – was her belief to be truthful and transparent serving her wrong?

Sensing the rising unease within her charge, Bhavika uncrossed her legs and leaned forward, taking the naga’s hands into her own. “You have been under a great amount distress. It is clear that you have wandered far and for long – but.. forgive me, Sylise… I ask not because I am judging you.. I ask only out of concern.. Why did you leave Shadahan?”

The yellow gaze of the naga fell to the vibrantly colored carpet beneath them. In her mind, Sylise fought two sides of the debate: to reveal the full truth or to avoid the question entirely. The latter she knew was unacceptable, even in her weakened state, but oh… how enticing it was. Images flashed in her mind of how glorious at that moment would everything be if she had been left to perish at the hands of nature. But in that same instance, she saw despair and sadness of those that would have cared….

Her gaze lifted to Bhavika and with the first instance of full clarity, Sylise replied, “I cannot reveal just yet, but I know someone to whom I can tell all to. She is someone whom I trust fully.”
Topic Options