Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A priestess of life and death
A time long past, a different world, different circumstances, same words.

"The Lady has called for death. If it is not to be your son's, then choose another."

The man in front of her sneered. "You know I don't believe in your drivel. Get out."

Velastra spread her hands. "You sent for me, my lord."

"I sent for someone who could DO something!"

"Just so. I am telling you what can be done."

The man glared at her, disgust twisting his face. He was Duke Faisnal, a Councilor to the King, and they were in his manse. That was the Duke's heir laying on the couch in front of them, pale and wasted to skin and bones, a cloth spotted with blood held to his lips.

The duke opened his mouth to snarl at her again, but was interrupted by his son's coughing fit. He was too weak to even hold the cloth to his mouth anymore, and blood spattered the couch as he wheezed. His eyes grew dull and his head lolled back on the pillow.

She watched the duke watch his son. She watched as something broke in him, as his face softened from anger to uncertainty. Gently, she said, "My lord, it matters not whether you believe me. If it does not work, things will be no different. But if there's even a chance..." She let the words hang a moment. "Wouldn't you try anything to save him?"

She watched as that final barrier fell. "What must I do?"

"Choose someone. Someone whose death will mean something to you. If the Lady judges your offering favorably, the trade will be made. His life for your son's."

The duke licked his lips, throat dry. "My... my manservant." He hung his head a moment before straightening again. "Though it will do no good."

"As my lord wishes." She bowed to him, using the motion to mask a hand signal to her guard. The guard slipped out of the room. They would see to it that the manservant met with a plausible accident.

Velastra grabbed a fresh cloth from the supplies she had brought. "Let me tend to him, please." At a reluctant nod from the duke, she approached his son and began to gently sponge his face clean.

With that done, she retrieved a cup of water and brought it over to the dying man. While no one was looking, she poured into it the antidote, which would counteract the poison the heir had been given months ago.

If the duke had recently been trying to remove the Lady's temple from the city, and denouncing Her worshippers in Council, well. No longer. Not after a miracle.

"Drink."
Topic Options